U.S Code last checked for updates: Oct 24, 2021
§ 2102.
Authority of Secretary
Use of health research and research training resources

To carry out the purposes of clause (1) of section 2101 of this title, the Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare (hereafter referred to as the “Secretary”) may in the exercise of his responsibilities under the Vocational Rehabilitation Act, sections 191 to 194 of title 42, and any other provision of law, to conduct and support health research and research training, including research and research training relating to the rehabilitation of the handicapped, make such use of health research and research training resources in participating foreign countries as he may deem necessary and desirable.

Fellowships; equipment, meetings and conferences; interchange of scientists and experts; consultants; compensation and travel expenses
To carry out his responsibilities under this section the Secretary may—
establish and maintain fellowships in the United States and in participating foreign countries;
make grants to public institutions or agencies and to nonprofit private institutions or agencies in the United States and in participating foreign countries for the purpose of establishing and maintaining fellowships;
make grants or loans of equipment, medical, biological, physical, or chemical substances or other materials, for use by public institutions or agencies, or nonprofit private institutions or agencies, or by individuals, in participating foreign countries;
participate and otherwise cooperate in any international health or medical research or research training meetings, conferences, or other activities;
facilitate the interchange between the United States and participating foreign countries, and among participating foreign countries, of research scientists and experts who are engaged in experiments and programs of research or research training, and in carrying out such purpose may pay per diem compensation, subsistence, and travel for such scientists and experts when away from their places of residence at rates not to exceed those provided in section 5703 of title 5 for persons in the Government service intermittently employed; and
procure, in accordance with the provisions of section 3109 of title 5, the temporary or intermittent services of experts or consultants; individuals so employed shall receive compensation at a rate to be fixed by the Secretary, but not in excess of $50 per diem, including travel time, and while away from their homes or regular places of business may be allowed travel expenses, including per diem in lieu of subsistence, as authorized by section 5703 of title 5 for persons in the Government service employed intermittently.
For the purposes of this section—
The term “health research” shall include, but not be limited to, research, investigations, and studies relating to causes and methods of prevention of accidents, including but not limited to highway and aviation accidents.
The term “participating foreign countries” means those foreign countries which cooperate with the United States in carrying out the purposes of this section.
(Pub. L. 86–610, § 4, July 12, 1960, 74 Stat. 365.)
cite as: 22 USC 2102