Mr. Vincent Di Costanzo
The Hipage Company, Inc.
5629 Laburnum Ave.
Richmond, VA 23231
RE: The tariff classification of clock movement parts from Germany.
Dear Mr. Di Costanzo:
In your letter dated December 24, 1996, on behalf of Hermle Black Forest Clocks, you requested a tariff classification ruling.
The subject of your inquiry is an unassembled clock movement. You have submitted samples of the parts that comprise the complete movement. The importer is considering importing the components for assembly in the United States, rather than importing completely finished quartz movements. The parts are as follows:
1. Pendulum, injection molded plastic
2. Back housing, injection molded plastic
3. Front housing, injection molded plastic
5. Part #E001-06460, metal plate for magnet
6. Metal screw
7. Part #E109-03710, magnet
8. Part #E007-10170, metal bushing
9. Printed circuit board for non-chiming movement
10. Printed circuit board for chiming movement
11. Part #E005-0890, metal positioning pin
12. Part #E018-03950, plastic molded drive wheel
13. Part #B015-01219, speaker
14. Part #B013-01910, pressed metal contact wheel
15. Part #E013-01900, pressed metal contact wheel
16. Part #E018-01392, plastic hand setting knob
The applicable subheading for the clock movement, unassembled, will be 9110.90.20, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for complete clock movements, unassembled. The rate of duty will be the rate applicable to the complete, assembled movement. If valued not over $5 each, the rate of duty will be 13 cents each plus 5.6 percent on the movement plus 4.6 percent on the battery. If valued over $5 each, the rate of duty will be 36 cents each plus 5.1 percent on the movement plus 4.2 percent on the battery.
This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Part 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).
A copy of the ruling or the control number indicated above should be provided with the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If you have any questions regarding the ruling, contact National Import Specialist Lawrence Mushinske at 212-466-5739.
Gwenn Klein Kirschner
Chief, Special Products Branch