Ms. Jean K. Todd
Independent Audio, LLC
43 Deerfield Road
Portland, ME 04101-1805
RE: The tariff classification of electronic connection equipment from England
Dear Ms. Todd:
In your letter dated January 27, 1999 you requested a tariff classification ruling.
As indicated in the submitted descriptive literature, there are five models of electronic connection equipment in question, described as follows:
- The Sonifex Dual Microphone Amplifier, identified as model RB-MA2, is a device which consists of two independent low-noise microphone pre-amplifiers for converting microphone level signals to line level.
- The Sonifex Dual Stereo to Mono Converter, identified as model RB-SM2, consists of two independent converters which will produce two fully buffered and balanced mono line outputs from two stereo inputs.
- The Sonifex Unbalanced to Balanced Bi-Directional Converter, identified as model RB-BL2, is a bi-directional stereo unit for interfacing domestic, or semi-pro unbalanced equipment to professional balanced line levels, and vice-versa.
- The Sonifex Twin Mono or Stereo Limiter, identified as model RB-SL2, is a stereo or twin independent mono VCA limiter for use in news rooms and other locations where the correct level into recording equipment is required.
- The Sonifex 6 Way Stereo Distribution Amplifier, identified as model RB-DA6, is a high performance 6 way stereo distribution amplifier for splitting a source into a number of different outputs.
The applicable subheading for the RB-MA2 model will be 8518.40.2000, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for audio frequency electric amplifiers: Other. The rate of duty will be 4.9 percent ad valorem. The applicable subheading for the RB-SM2 and RB-BL2 models will be 8525.10.7090, HTS, which provides for other transmission apparatus for radiobroadcasting. The rate of duty will be 3 percent ad valorem. The applicable subheading for the RB-SL2 and RB-DA6 models will be 8543.89.9695, HTS, which provides for other electrical machines and apparatus, ..., not specified or included elsewhere in Chapter 85, HTS. The rate of duty will be 2.6 percent ad valorem.
This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Part 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).
A copy of the ruling or the control number indicated above should be provided with the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If you have any questions regarding the ruling, contact National Import Specialist David Curran at 212-637-7049.
Robert B. Swierupski