CLA-2-84:R:N1:104 815060

Ms. Leigh A. Glazer
Carr Consulting Group
P.O. Box 398
Farmington, MI 48335

RE: The tariff classification of filter media from Germany.

Dear Ms. Glazer:

In your letter dated September 18, 1995 on behalf of Farr Company of El Segundo, California you requested a tariff classification ruling.

You have provided a sample of Blucher Nanosorb filter media, a reticulated polyurethane foam containing 0.5 mm diameter spherical activated carbon bonded to the foam throughout its volume. The carbon spheres account for 75% of the item's total weight. The remaining 25% is the reticulated foam. Farr will purchase the Nanosorb filter media in one size only, 11 1/8" x 21 7/8" x 20 mm thick and in only one porosity, 20 PPI. After importation, Farr will assemble a metal frame around the outside of the material. No further work will be performed on the media. After the framing operation, the filters will be installed in air filtering machines used to abate gas phase pollutants in ventilating air.

The applicable subheading for the Blucher Nanosorb filter media will be 8421.99.0080, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for parts of filtering or purifying machinery and apparatus, for liquids or gases. The rate of duty will be 3.1 percent.

This ruling is being issued under the provisions of Section 177 of the Customs Regulations (19 C.F.R. 177).

A copy of the ruling or the control number indicated above should be provided with the entry documents filed at the time this merchandise is imported. If you have any questions regarding the ruling, contact National Import Specialist Robert Losche at 212-466-5670.


Roger J. Silvestri
National Commodity
Specialist Division