PREPARED FOODSTUFFS; BEVERAGES, SPIRITS AND VINEGAR;
TOBACCO AND MANUFACTURED TOBACCO SUBSTITUTES
- 1. In this section the term "pellets" means products which have been agglomerated either directly by compression or by the addition of a binder in a proportion not exceeding 3 percent by weight.
Additional U.S. Notes
- 1. In this section the term "canned" means preserved in airtight containers by heat processing to destroy or inactivate micro-organisms and enzymes that otherwise could cause spoilage.
- 2. For the purposes of this section, unless the context otherwise requires--
- (a) the term "percent by dry weight" means the sugar content as a percentage of the total solids in the product;
- (b) The term "capable of being further processed or mixed with similar or other ingredients" means that the imported product is in such condition or container as to be subject to any additional preparation, treatment or manufacture or to be blended or combined with any additional ingredient, including water or any other liquid, other than processing or mixing with other ingredients performed by the ultimate consumer prior to consumption of the product;
- (c) the term "prepared for marketing to the ultimate consumer in the identical form and package in which imported" means that the product is imported in packaging of such sizes and labeling as to be readily identifiable as being intended for retail sale to the ultimate consumer without any alteration in the form of the product or its packaging; and
- (d) the term "ultimate consumer" does not include institutions such as hospitals, prisons and military establishments or food service establishments such as restaurants, hotels, bars or bakeries.