MISCELLANEOUS MANUFACTURED ARTICLES
- 1. This chapter does not cover:
- (a) Pencils for cosmetic or toilet uses (chapter 33);
- (b) Articles of chapter 66 (for example, parts of umbrellas or walking-sticks);
- (c) Imitation jewelry (heading 7117);
- (d) Parts of general use, as defined in note 2 to section XV, of base metal (section XV) or similar goods of plastics (chapter 39);
- (e) Cutlery or other articles of chapter 82 with handles or other parts of carving or molding materials; heading 9601 or 9602 applies, however, to separately entered handles or other parts of such articles;
- (f) Articles of chapter 90 (for example, spectacle frames (heading 9003), mathematical drawing pens (heading 9017), brushes of a kind specialized for use in dentistry or for medical, surgical or veterinary purposes (heading 9018));
- (g) Articles of chapter 91 (for example, clock or watch cases);
- (h) Musical instruments or parts or accessories thereof (chapter 92);
- (ij) Articles of chapter 93 (arms and parts thereof);
- (k) Articles of chapter 94 (for example, furniture, lamps and lighting fittings);
- (l) Articles of chapter 95 (toys, games, sports equipment); or
- (m) Works of art, collectors' pieces or antiques (chapter 97).
- 2. In heading 9602 the expression "vegetable or mineral carving material" means:
- (a) Hard seeds, pips, hulls and nuts and similar vegetable materials of a kind used for carving (for example, corozo and dom);
- (b) Amber, meerschaum, agglomerated amber and agglomerated meerschaum, jet and mineral substitutes for jet.
- 3. In heading 9603 the expression "prepared knots and tufts for broom or brush making" applies only to unmounted knots and tufts of animal hair, vegetable fiber or other material, which are ready for incorporation without division in brooms or brushes, or which require only such further minor processes as trimming to shape at the top, to render them ready for such incorporation.
- 4. Articles of this chapter, other than those of headings 9601 to 9606 or 9615, remain classified in the chapter whether or not composed wholly or partly of precious metal or metal clad with precious metal, of natural or cultured pearls, or precious or semiprecious stones (natural, synthetic or reconstructed). However, headings 9601 to 9606 and 9615 include articles in which natural or cultured pearls, precious or semiprecious stones (natural, synthetic or reconstructed), precious metal or metal clad with precious metal constitute only minor constituents.
Additional U.S. Notes
- 1. For the purposes of heading 9606 the term "line" in the rates of duty columns means the line button measure of 0.635 mm.
- 2. Buttons (whether or not finished) provided for in subheadings 9606.21.40 and 9606.29.20 which are the product of an insular possession of the United States outside the customs territory of the United States and which are manufactured or produced from button blanks or unfinished buttons which were the product of any foreign country shall be subject to duty under subheadings 9606.21.40 and 9606.29.20 at the rates which apply to products of such foreign country.