TOYS, GAMES AND SPORTS EQUIPMENT; PARTS AND ACCESSORIES THEREOF
- 1. This chapter does not cover:
- (a) Candles (heading 3406);
- (b) Fireworks or other pyrotechnic articles of heading 3604;
- (c) Yarns, monofilament, cords or gut or the like for fishing, cut to length but not made up into fishing lines, of chapter 39, heading 4206 or section XI;
- (d) Sports bags or other containers of heading 4202, 4303 or 4304;
- (e) Fancy dress of textiles, of chapter 61 or 62; sports clothing and special articles of apparel of textiles, of chapter 61 or 62, whether or not incorporating incidentally protective components such as pads or padding in the elbow, knee or groin areas (for example, fencing clothing or soccer goalkeeper jerseys);
- (f) Textile flags or bunting, or sails for boats, sailboards or land craft, of chapter 63;
- (g) Sports footwear (other than skating boots with ice or roller skates attached) of chapter 64, or sports headgear of chapter 65;
- (h) Walking-sticks, whips, riding-crops or the like (heading 6602), or parts thereof (heading 6603);
- (ij) Unmounted glass eyes for dolls or other toys, of heading 7018;
- (k) Parts of general use, as defined in note 2 to section XV, of base metal (section XV), or similar goods of plastics (chapter 39);
- (l) Bells, gongs or the like of heading 8306;
- (m) Pumps for liquids (heading 8413), filtering or purifying machinery and apparatus for liquids or gases (heading 8421), electric motors (heading 8501), electric transformers (heading 8504), discs, tapes, solid-state non-volatile storage devices, "smart cards" and other media for the recording of sound or of other phenomena, whether or not recorded (heading 8523), radio remote control apparatus (heading 8526) or cordless infrared remote control devices (heading 8543);
- (n) Sports vehicles (other than sleds, bobsleds, toboggans and the like) of section XVII;
- (o) Children's bicycles (heading 8712);
- (p) Sports craft such as canoes and skiffs (chapter 89), or their means of propulsion (chapter 44 for such articles made of wood);
- (q) Spectacles, goggles or the like, for sports or outdoor games (heading 9004);
- (r) Decoy calls or whistles (heading 9208);
- (s) Arms or other articles of chapter 93;
- (t) Electric garlands of all kinds (heading 9405);
- (u) Monopods, bipods, tripods and similar articles (heading 9620);
- (v) Racket strings, tents or other camping goods, or gloves, mittens and mitts (classified according to their constituent material); or
- (w) Tableware, kitchenware, toilet articles, carpets and other textile floor coverings, apparel, bed linen, table linen, toilet linen, kitchen linen and similar articles having a utilitarian function (classified according to their constituent material). 1See subheading 9817.95.01 and 9817.95.05
- 2. This chapter includes articles in which natural or cultured pearls, precious or semiprecious stones (natural, synthetic or reconstructed), precious metal or metal clad with precious metal constitute only minor constituents.
- 3. Subject to note 1 above, parts and accessories which are suitable for use solely or principally with articles of this chapter are to be classified with those articles.
- 4. Subject to the provisions of Note 1 above, heading 9503 applies, inter alia, to articles of this heading combined with one or more items, which cannot be considered as sets under the terms of General Interpretative Rule 3(b), and which, if presented separately, would be classified in other headings, provided the articles are put up together for retail sale and the combinations have the essential character of toys.
- 5. Heading 9503 does not cover articles which, on account of their design, shape or constituent material, are identifiable as intended exclusively for animals, for example, "pet toys" (classification in their own appropriate heading).
- 1. Subheading 9504.50 covers:
- (a) Video game consoles from which the image is reproduced on a television receiver, a monitor or other external screen or surface; or
- (b) Video game machines having a self-contained video screen, whether or not portable.
This subheading does not cover video game consoles or machines operated by coins, banknotes, bank cards, tokens or by any other means of payment (subheading 9504.30).
- 1. In heading 9503, classification is based on the youngest age for which the product is intended. For example, an item labeled "For ages 2–5" would be appropriately classified in the "Under 3 years of age" category. Parts and accessories, if not specifically labeled for a specific age, should be classified under the age designation that would be applicable to the finished retail product of which it is a component or in which it is incorporated.
The provisions of subchapter II of chapter 99 (Miscellaneous Tariff Bills or MTBs), the provisions of the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) found in General Note 4 and most product exclusions from the additional tariffs on products of China in subchapter III of chapter 99 expired on December 31, 2020. However, no endnotes or footnotes relating to these provisions have been deleted as of the issue date of this edition.