RAILWAY OR TRAMWAY LOCOMOTIVES, ROLLING STOCK AND PARTS THEREOF;
RAILWAY OR TRAMWAY TRACK FIXTURES AND FITTINGS AND PARTS THEREOF;
MECHANICAL (INCLUDING ELECTRO-MECHANICAL) TRAFFIC SIGNALING
EQUIPMENT OF ALL KINDS
- 1. This chapter does not cover:
- (a) Railway or tramway sleepers (cross-ties) of wood or of concrete, or concrete guide-track sections for hovertrains (heading 4406 or 6810);
- (b) Railway or tramway track construction material of iron or steel of heading 7302; or
- (c) Electrical signaling, safety or traffic control equipment of heading 8530.
- 2. Heading 8607 applies, inter alia, to:
- (a) Axles, wheels, wheel sets (running gear), metal tires, hoops and hubs and other parts of wheels;
- (b) Frames, underframes, truck assemblies;
- (c) Axle boxes; brake gear;
- (d) Buffers for rolling-stock; hooks and other coupling gear and corridor connections;
- (e) Coachwork.
- 3. Subject to the provisions of note 1 above, heading 8608 applies, inter alia, to:
- (a) Assembled track, turntables, platform buffers, loading gauges;
- (b) Semaphores, mechanical signal discs, level crossing control gear, signal and point controls, and other mechanical (including electro-mechanical) signaling, safety or traffic control equipment, whether or not fitted for electric lighting, for railways, tramways, roads, inland waterways, parking facilities, port installations or airfields.
Additional U.S. Note
- 1. Railway locomotives (provided for in headings 8601 and 8602) and railway freight cars (provided for in heading 8606) on which no duty is owed are not subject to the entry or release requirements for imported merchandise set forth in Sections 448 and 484 of the Tariff Act of 1930. The Secretary of the Treasury may by regulation establish appropriate reporting requirements, including the requirement that a bond be posted to ensure compliance.
The provisions of subchapter II of chapter 99 (Miscellaneous Tariff Bills or MTBs), the provisions of the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) found in General Note 4 and most product exclusions from the additional tariffs on products of China in subchapter III of chapter 99 expired on December 31, 2020. However, no endnotes or footnotes relating to these provisions have been deleted as of the issue date of this edition.