EDIBLE VEGETABLES AND CERTAIN ROOTS AND TUBERS
- 1. This chapter does not cover forage products of heading 1214.
- 2. In headings 0709, 0710, 0711 and 0712 the word "vegetables" includes edible mushrooms, truffles, olives, capers, marrows, pumpkins, eggplants (aubergines), sweet corn (Zea mays var. saccharata), fruits of the genus Capsicum (peppers) or of the genus Pimenta (e.g., allspice), fennel, parsley, chervil, tarragon, cress and sweet marjoram (Marjorana hortensis or Origanum marjorana).
- 3. Heading 0712 covers all dried vegetables of the kinds falling in headings 0701 to 0711, other than:
- (a) Dried leguminous vegetables, shelled (heading 0713);
- (b) Sweet corn in the forms specified in headings 1102 to 1104;
- (c) Flour, meal, powder, flakes, granules and pellets of potatoes (heading 1105);
- (d) Flour, meal and powder of the dried leguminous vegetables of heading 0713 (heading 1106).
- 4. However, dried or crushed or ground fruits of the genus Capsicum (peppers) or of the genus Pimenta (e.g., allspice) are excluded from this chapter (heading 0904).
Additional U.S. Notes
- 1. Unless the context requires otherwise, the provisions of this chapter cover the named products whether or not reduced in size.
- 2. In the assessment of duty on any kind of vegetables, any foreign matter or impurities mixed therewith shall not be segregated nor shall any allowance therefor be made.
- 3. Articles of a kind covered by this chapter that can be used either for food or for sowing or planting (e.g., onions, onion sets, shallots, garlic, potatoes, and potato eyes) remain classified in this chapter even if rendered inedible as the result of treatment with insecticides, fungicides or similar chemicals.
- 4. In subheading 0701.10, the expression "seed" covers only seed potatoes which are certified by a responsible officer or agency of a foreign government in accordance with official rules and regulations to have been grown and approved especially for use as seed, in containers marked with the foreign government's official seed potato tags and imported for use as seed.
- 5. The aggregate quantity of olives entered under subheadings 0711.20.18 and 2005.70.06 in any calendar year shall not exceed 4,400 metric tons.
- 1. For a list of approved standards for "Certified organic", see General Statistical Note 6.
- 2. For the purposes of statistical reporting numbers 0702.00.2025, 0702.00.2080, 0702.00.4025, 0702.00.4080, 0702.00.6025 and 0702.00.6080, "round" tomatoes, also commonly called "globe", "slicing" or "beefsteak" tomatoes, are round in shape and weigh as much as 0.9 kg.
The provisions of subchapter II of chapter 99 (Miscellaneous Tariff Bills or MTBs), the provisions of the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) found in General Note 4 and most product exclusions from the additional tariffs on products of China in subchapter III of chapter 99 expired on December 31, 2020. However, no endnotes or footnotes relating to these provisions have been deleted as of the issue date of this edition.