MANUFACTURES OF STRAW, OF ESPARTO OR
OF OTHER PLAITING MATERIALS; BASKETWARE
- 1. In this chapter the expression "plaiting materials" means materials in a state or form suitable for plaiting, interlacing or similar processes; it includes straw, osier or willow, bamboos, rattans, rushes, reeds, strips of wood, strips of other vegetable material (for example, strips of bark, narrow leaves and raffia or other strips obtained from broad leaves), unspun natural textile fibers, monofilament and strip and the like of plastics and strips of paper, but not strips of leather or composition leather or of felt or nonwovens, human hair, horsehair, textile rovings or yarns, or monofilament and strip and the like of chapter 54.
- 2. This chapter does not cover:
- (a) Wall coverings of heading 4814;
- (b) Twine, cordage, ropes or cables, plaited or not (heading 5607);
- (c) Footwear or headgear or parts thereof of chapter 64 or 65;
- (d) Vehicles or bodies for vehicles of basketware (chapter 87); or
- (e) Articles of chapter 94 (for example, furniture, lamps and lighting fittings).
- 3. For the purposes of heading 4601, the expression "plaiting materials, plaits and similar products of plaiting materials, bound together in parallel strands" means plaiting materials, plaits and similar products of plaiting materials, placed side by side and bound together, in the form of sheets, whether or not the binding materials are of spun textile materials.
The provisions of subchapter II of chapter 99 (Miscellaneous Tariff Bills or MTBs), the provisions of the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) found in General Note 4 and most product exclusions from the additional tariffs on products of China in subchapter III of chapter 99 expired on December 31, 2020. However, no endnotes or footnotes relating to these provisions have been deleted as of the issue date of this edition.