RAW HIDES AND SKINS (OTHER THAN FURSKINS) AND LEATHER
- 1. This chapter does not cover:
- (a) Parings or similar waste, of raw hides or skins (heading 0511);
- (b) Birdskins or parts of birdskins, with their feathers or down, of heading 0505 or 6701; or
- (c) Hides or skins, with the hair or wool on, raw, tanned or dressed (chapter 43); the following are, however, to be classified in chapter 41, namely, raw hides and skins with the hair or wool on, of bovine animals (including buffalo), of equine animals, of sheep or lambs (except Astrakhan, Broadtail, Caracul, Persian or similar lambs, Indian, Chinese, Mongolian or Tibetan lambs), of goats or kids (except Yemen, Mongolian or Tibetan goats and kids), of swine (including peccary), of chamois, of gazelle, of camels (including dromedaries), of reindeer, of elk, of deer, of roebucks or of dogs.
- (a) Headings 4104 to 4106 do not cover hides and skins which have undergone a tanning (including pre-tanning) process which is reversible (headings 4101 to 4103, as the case may be).
- (b) For the purposes of headings 4104 to 4106, the term “crust” includes hides and skins that have been retanned, colored or fat-liquored (stuffed) prior to drying.
- 3. Throughout the tariff schedule the expression "composition leather" means only substances of the kind referred to in heading 4115.
Additional U.S. Note
- 1. The term "fancy" as applied to leather, means leather which has been embossed, printed or otherwise decorated in any manner or to any extent (including leather on which the original grain has been accentuated by any process, but excluding leather of subheading 4114.20).
The provisions of subchapter II of chapter 99 (Miscellaneous Tariff Bills or MTBs), the provisions of the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) found in General Note 4 and most product exclusions from the additional tariffs on products of China in subchapter III of chapter 99 expired on December 31, 2020. However, no endnotes or footnotes relating to these provisions have been deleted as of the issue date of this edition.