PREPARATIONS OF MEAT, OF FISH OR OF CRUSTACEANS, MOLLUSCS OR OTHER AQUATIC INVERTEBRATES
- 1. This chapter does not cover meat, meat offal, fish, crustaceans, molluscs or other aquatic invertebrates, prepared or preserved by the processes specified in chapter 2 or 3 or heading 0504.
- 2. Food preparations fall in this chapter provided that they contain more than 20 percent by weight of sausage, meat, meat offal, blood, fish or crustaceans, molluscs or other aquatic invertebrates, or any combination thereof. In cases where the preparation contains two or more of the products mentioned above, it is classified in the heading of chapter 16 corresponding to the component or components which predominate by weight. These provisions do not apply to the stuffed products of heading 1902 or to the preparations of heading 2103 or 2104.
- 1. For the purposes of subheading 1602.10, the expression "homogenized preparations" means preparations of meat, meat offal or blood, finely homogenized, put up for retail sale as food suitable for infants or young children or for dietetic purposes, in containers of a net weight content not exceeding 250 g. For the application of this definition no account is to be taken of small quantities of any ingredients which may have been added to the preparation for seasoning, preservation or other purposes. These preparations may contain a small quantity of visible pieces of meat or meat offal. This subheading takes precedence over all other subheadings of heading 1602.
- 2. The fish, crustaceans, molluscs and other aquatic invertebrates specified in the subheadings of heading 1604 or 1605 under their common names only, are of the same species as those mentioned in chapter 3 under the same name.
Additional U.S. Notes
- 1. For the purposes of this chapter, the term "in oil" means packed in oil or fat, or in added oil or fat and other substances, whether such oil or fat was introduced at the time of packing or prior thereto.
- 2. In assessing the duty on meats, no allowance shall be made for normal components thereof such as bones, fat, and hide or skin. The dutiable weight of meats in airtight containers subject to specific rates includes the entire contents of the containers.
- 3. For purposes of subheadings 1604.14.22 and 1604.14.30, tunas and skipjack from the freely associated states may be entered free of duty under the appropriate subheading in an aggregate quantity provided by, and under the terms set forth in, general note 10(c) to the tariff schedule. Goods from the freely associated states entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, in excess of such specified aggregate quantity shall be dutied under the appropriate subheading at the rate set forth in the "General" subcolumn of column 1.
- 1. Imports of shrimp or products of shrimp are subject to the provisions of section 609 of Public Law 101-162 of November 21, 1989 (16 U.S.C. 1537 note).
The provisions of subchapter II of chapter 99 (Miscellaneous Tariff Bills or MTBs), the provisions of the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) found in General Note 4 and most product exclusions from the additional tariffs on products of China in subchapter III of chapter 99 expired on December 31, 2020. However, no endnotes or footnotes relating to these provisions have been deleted as of the issue date of this edition.