PRODUCTS OF THE MILLING INDUSTRY; MALT;
STARCHES; INULIN; WHEAT GLUTEN
- 1. This chapter does not cover:
- (a) Roasted malt put up as coffee substitutes (heading 0901 or 2101);
- (b) Prepared flours, groats, meals or starches of heading 1901;
- (c) Corn flakes or other products of heading 1904;
- (d) Vegetables, prepared or preserved, of heading 2001, 2004 or 2005;
- (e) Pharmaceutical products (chapter 30); or
- (f) Starches having the character of perfumery, cosmetic or toilet preparations (chapter 33).
- (A) Products from the milling of the cereals listed in the table below fall within this chapter if they have, by weight on the dry product:
- (a) A starch content (determined by the modified Ewers polarimetric method) exceeding that indicated in column (2); and
- (b) An ash content (after deduction of any added minerals) not exceeding that indicated in column (3).
Otherwise, they fall in heading 2302. However, germ of cereals, whole, rolled, flaked or ground is always classified in heading 1104.
- (B) Products falling within this chapter under the above provisions shall be classified in heading 1101 or 1102 if the percentage passing through a woven metal wire cloth sieve with the aperture indicated in column (4) or (5) is not less, by weight, than that shown against the cereal concerned.
Otherwise, they fall in heading 1103 or 1104.
| || || || || |
|Cereal||Starch content||Ash content||Rate of passage through a sieve with an aperture of--|
|(microns)||(microns)||315 micrometers||500 micrometers|
| || || |
|Wheat and rye ||45||2.5||80||-|
|Corn (maize) and grain sorghum||45||2||-||90|
- 3. For the purposes of heading 1103 the terms "groats" and "meal" mean products obtained by the fragmentation of cereal grains, of which --
- (a) In the case of corn (maize) products, at least 95 percent by weight passes through a woven metal wire cloth sieve with an aperture of 2 mm;
- (b) In the case of other cereal products, at least 95 percent by weight passes through a woven metal wirecloth sieve with an aperture of 1.25 mm.
Additional U.S. Note
- 1. Notwithstanding the rates of duty set forth in this subchapter, mixtures of the products classifiable in headings 1101, 1102, 1103 or 1104 (except mixtures classifiable in subheading 1102.90.30) are dutiable as follows:
|column 1 (general)-||12.8%|
|column 1 (special)-||Free (AU,CA,CL, E,IL,MX,P,SG)|
The provisions of subchapter II of chapter 99 (Miscellaneous Tariff Bills or MTBs), the provisions of the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) found in General Note 4 and most product exclusions from the additional tariffs on products of China in subchapter III of chapter 99 expired on December 31, 2020. However, no endnotes or footnotes relating to these provisions have been deleted as of the issue date of this edition.